BurWil Receives 2011 AGC Awards
BurWil Construction Company, Inc. took home four major awards at the 20th Annual 2011 Tri-Cities AGC Awards Banquet held March 13, 2012. The event, sponsored by the Associated General Contractors of Tennessee, Tri-Cities Branch, recognizes excellence in local construction projects and leadership. BurWil received the General Contractor Circle of Excellence Award (Category A). The company’s construction of a new national headquarters for Alpha Natural Resources in Bristol, Va., was named Project of the Year, 1st Place, for Division II. In addition, Project Manager Chris Broglio was named Project Manager of the Year, and Randy Webb was named Superintendent of the Year.
BurWil Continues Construction of Smyth Elementary School
Construction on a new, two-story 80,000-square-foot Smyth County Elementary School began this past December in Marion, Va. The new school is a $15.2 million project that replaces Marion Intermediate School, a structure that has been in disrepair for several years. The new brick structure, which is expected to be completed by August 2013, will contain a 6,365-square-foot gymnasium, dining room, full-service kitchen, library, music room, an administrative area and 28 classrooms.
Marion Primary School Gets Overhaul
Well under way in Marion, Va., is BurWil’s renovation of Marion Primary School (Smyth County Public Schools) into a modern educational facility for kindergarten through fifth grades. The project includes a complete overhaul of the school’s existing 60,550 square feet of space, along with an addition of 2,050 square feet. The renovations involve an HVAC upgrade, improved energy efficiency, electrical upgrade, a new traffic pattern, gym and cafeteria improvements, use of natural light and a complete renovation to accommodate the school’s 650 students and staff. The project is expected to be completed by August 2013.
UVA-Wise Student Center Getting New Look in 2013
BurWil will soon begin work on a two-story, 11,000-square-foot addition to the C. Bascom Slemp Student Center on the University of Virginia’s College at Wise campus. The student center, built in 2003, is the social hub of the campus. The addition will contain a health and wellness center with exercise areas, locker rooms, a multipurpose room, conference rooms, office space and a lobby. BurWil will also be renovating a 5,800-square-foot area in the campus’ Greear Gymnasium, originally built in the early 1960s. Renovations will include improvements to the varsity locker room and upgrades on the facility’s lobby and public restrooms. Completion is expected in late 2013.
BurWil Tackling 5 Projects at ETSU:
· BurWil is currently constructing two new athletic fields on 15.5 acres of land on the ETSU campus. An expansion of existing recreational facilities, this project includes construction of a synthetic turf football/softball field and a natural turf soccer/softball field, both with athletic field lighting. Estimated completion date is September 2012.
· In May 2012, BurWil will begin renovating 55,230-square-feet of apartment space, Buildings F and G, in the ETSU married student housing complex. In addition to making buildings accessibility compliant, renovations include general room repairs and work on windows, roof, casework, flooring, and the addition of Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter outlets. Completion is expected by December 2012.
· BurWil will begin work in July 2012 on a 21,000-square-foot expansion of the existing Wayne G. Basler Center for Physical Activity, which was originally constructed in 2002 on the ETSU campus. The expansion will include a new basketball court, cardio-cycling room, martial arts-wrestling room and additional restrooms. The project is expected to be completed in July 2013.
· In August 2012, BurWil will begin major renovations on the 113,000-square-foot Building 119 on the Mountain Home Veterans Administration Medical Center campus in Johnson City, Tenn. The building contains the Quillen College of Medicine Research Laboratory, part of ETSU Quillen College of Medicine. Renovations should be completed around August of 2013.
· In April 2012, BurWil will begin Phase III – HVAC Repairs and Replacements in Alexander Hall, Brown Hall, Burgin Dossett Hall, Campus Center, Gilbreath Hall, Lamb Hall, Memorial Center & Warf Pickel Hall. The project involves heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) repairs and replacements and is scheduled to be completed in November 2012.